Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Making musical Instruments!

Recently, I have been obsessed with making miniature musical instruments! I made my first whistle as a present with a cute little hippo that I etched into it. I will take photographs of this piece soon so all of you can see! This  image is my first attempt at making an ocarina out of copper and it was successful!
An ocarina is an ancient flute-like instrument that dates back over 12,000 years. The ocarina exists in many cultures, however I was concentrating on examples from Aztec culture. Sadly, my first knowledge of ocarinas came from my obsession a long time ago with the video game, The Legend of Zelda. I suppose I wouldn't have researched this fascinating object further without this experience. :-P
These images above are of the underside of the ocarina. I gave it a dimpled surface. It reminds of an asteroid. 

I started researching primitive instruments from Viking culture and I found plenty that I would be interested in fabricating! You will definitely see more future postings of miniature instruments in the future!


No comments:

Post a Comment