Sunday, April 1, 2012

Earrings from Indonesia

My friend Candace gave me these wonderful pair of wood earrings from Indonesia! I love the curvilinear design and because they are made of wood, they are quite light for their size. They almost remind me of abstracted, winged gargoyles.

The peg fastener is visually appealing, however it is not so functional. I find it difficult to push through the ear hole, plus it isn't very secure. I have been fabricating an silver ear wire to make these earrings more wearable because I do like the design.

I showed these earrings to my Intermediate Jewelry Class and one of my students remarked that she owned a small collection of Indonesian earrings that were similar in design! Denise generously brought in several examples to show the class.





The earrings are made of a variety of different materials: bone, horn and wood. All of the designs were exquisite! My favorite pieces are the bone wings and striped spiral earrings. Some of the closures are clever in design. For example, the spiral design has a post that fits into the back portion of the earring. When they are worn, it gives the illusion that the entire earring is traveling through the ear lobe.

I hope you enjoy these earring designs as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment