Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Comic-Con International 2012 Part 2

I apologize in the delay of posting the second update of my Comic-Con experience! :-(  There are many things to talk about, since Comic-Con is the ultimate in visual overload!

Being an exhibitor at Comic-Con is never boring. Simply sitting and watching the attendees walk by in their elaborate costumes makes for an entertaining experience. It quickly becomes obvious that some people plan their costumes a year in advance based on the incredible detail or realism of their outfits! I didn't have time to take lots of pictures, but here is a small sampling of people's costumes.


The cartoon series, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, was very popular at Comic-Con. There were many people that made costumes inspired by the characters from the show. The lady in the pink costume above is a good example. I used to love My Little Ponies as a kid. I think I even wanted to be a horse as a kid. Fortunately, I don't have such aspirations at this stage in my life. However, what I haven't grown out of is my love of cute animals! I guess that's why it is such a common theme in my work.

I make jewelry. I will always make jewelry, but, I like dabbling in all crafts. Adding new techniques and mediums to the mix makes work more interesting for me.

Jewelry student, Susan Varnum showed me some wool felting techniques. I mentioned her in the previous blog post. When she introduced me to the medium, I was hooked! She told me, "When you come home after a hard day at work, and you start felting, there is something very therapeutic about repeatedly stabbing that wool!"  I completely agree!

Felting was and is, so calming I had force myself to stop because I had many other things I needed to prepare for Comic-Con. Here are some examples of a few pieces I made.

Of course, I had to throw a smoking goose in there too!

Comic-Con was a blast! 2012 was my best year at Comic-Con and I can't wait till next year! :-)






No comments:

Post a Comment